What To Do Before An Abortion
If you’re considering abortion and you live in Maine, we can provide you with free and confidential Pre-Abortion Screening services.
Get information you need before taking abortion pills, at home methods or getting an in-clinic abortion. Schedule an appointment.
1. Learn More About Main Abortion Laws
Abortion is legal in Maine but with all of the recent and upcoming changes in our abortion laws, it can be confusing. Talk to our medical professionals that clearly understand the abortion laws and what they mean for you. We can answer any questions you have and help you learn more about your options.
2. Get a Free Ultrasound
If your pregnancy test is positive, our center provides limited obstetric ultrasounds free of charge. An ultrasound will help you learn more about your pregnancy and all of your options.
- Do an ultrasound exam to date the pregnancy1 and check that it’s not outside the uterus (ectopic pregnancy) and not a tumor that developed in the uterus (molar pregnancy).2
- Find out if your pregnancy is viable. About 26% percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriage but the actual number is likely higher because many miscarriages occur very early in pregnancy.3 Up to 80% of these happen in the first trimester. If you do not have a viable pregnancy, an abortion may not even be necessary.
Pre-Abortion Screening Services
No Cost. No Insurance. Confidential Services.
By getting free pre-abortion screening and an ultrasound exam before an abortion, you learn more about the following:
CAN YOU TAKE THE ABORTION PILL?
Before taking the abortion pill, you will need to determine exactly how far along you are and there is important medical information that you need to know in order to make an informed decision. We can help learn more about your pregnancy and if the abortion pill is an option for you with our free ultrasound services.
Medical abortion isn’t an option if you:4
- Are too far along in your pregnancy. You shouldn’t attempt a medical abortion if you’ve been pregnant for more than nine weeks (after the start of your last period). Some types of medical abortion aren’t done after seven weeks of pregnancy.
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place.
- Have a suspected pregnancy outside of the uterus. This is called ectopic pregnancy.
- Have certain medical conditions. These include bleeding disorders; certain heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney or lung disease; or an uncontrolled seizure disorder.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines.
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care.
- Have an allergy to the medicine used.
WHAT ABORTION PROCEDURE IS AVAILABLE TO YOU?
If you can’t have a medical abortion, a surgical procedure called dilation and curettage (D&C) may be an option. Find out how far along in pregnancy you are with our free ultrasound services. This information will help determine the type of abortion procedure(s) available to you, allowing you to have the information needed when calling abortion providers.
All of our services are 100% free and confidential. Schedule an appointment for pre-abortion screening and an ultrasound exam.
Schedule an Appointment
- Mayo Clinic. (2020, November 6). Fetal ultrasound. Mayo Clinic – Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/fetal-ultrasound/about/pac-20394149
- American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists. (2018, March). Practice Bulletin # 193: Tubal ectopic pregnancy. https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/practice-bulletin/articles/2018/03/tubal-ectopic-pregnancy
Mayo Clinic. (2022, March 12). Ectopic pregnancy – Symptoms and causes. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ectopic-pregnancy/symptoms-causes/syc-20372088
- Dugas C, Slane VH. Miscarriage. [Updated 2022 Jun 27]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532992/
- Mayo Clinic. (2022, July 29). Medical abortion: Before Using. Mayo Clinic – Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/medical-abortion/about/pac-20394687